RKB Code of Ethics
(For Regular Member Breeders and Apprentices)
1 The purpose of the RagaMuffin Kitten Breeders (RKB) is to encourage, promote, and protect the health of RagaMuffin Cats and Kittens by maintaining breed standards, encouraging exhibitions, and offering services to its members in keeping with those goals, the breeders of RKB agree to adhere to the following standards:
2 I agree that the RagaMuffin is a rare breed, furthering the interests of the RagaMuffin, including the health and safety of breed stock and litters shall always be my primary goal. Any other gain shall be secondaryI agree to keep adequate records of all matings and pedigrees and to register breedings and litters with at least one recognized cat registry, ACFA, CFA or GCCF.
3. I agree to breed first for health and disposition. I shall breed discriminately and only upon strong evidence of potential for finding suitable homes for all kittens. I shall euthanize any kitten with a deformity incompatible with having a happy, comfortable life.
4. All breeding cats will be tested and have a negative result for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids. Breeding cats will also be tested for the Ragdoll HCM mutation unless both parents or all grandparents have previously tested negative for this gene. I will have a written copy of these results for review. No cat with the Ragdoll HCM gene will be used in any breeding. We also highly suggest when you test your kittens/cats for HCM you test for PKD too.
5. I will refuse to sell to breeders who do not conform to RKB’s Code of Ethics or to a similar code.
6. I agree to only breed one Outcross in every 5 generations.
7. Before selling a kitten as a breeder, I shall ascertain that the buyer is fully aware of the ramifications of breeding expenses, necessary facilities, time involved in care, placement of kittens, and their responsibilities to buyers. A separate Breeder’s Addendum and Breeding Rights contract will outline these conditions. I shall also ensure that the kitten’s genetic background is compatible with intended mates.
8. I agree to maintain a high standard of health and care for my cats and kittens, including adequate room for exercise, regular grooming, clean quarters, and good quality food and water.
9. Before a kitten is sold it must receive age-appropriate immunizations. Kittens shall be kept free of all internal parasites. All kittens will be checked by a licensed veterinarian before adoption. No kitten will leave the cattery until they are at least 12 weeks old.
10. I will discourage the declawing of any kitten or cat and let my adopter know it is cruel and inhumane.
11. I will never sell cats or kittens to cat wholesalers or retailers. I will never donate a RagaMuffin for raffle purposes or buy or sell kittens in litter lots.
12. I shall ascertain that all buyers know how to care for a cat or kitten and make myself available to give advice. This will also apply to assisting other breeders with advice who obtain a breeding queen or stud from me. We would hope other breeders will step in and help when needed.
13. I shall not breed a female until she is at least a year old and has been in season twice. I will not purposely breed any female more than three times in two years unless it is necessary for the female’s health to reduce the risk of pyometra in a queen with frequent heats. Any female with severe birthing problems will be altered.
14. I will supply a receipt to my buyer for all deposits received. The receipt will state what happens if a buyer changes his or her mind, money forfeited, refund, returned after the kitten is re-sold, etc. A receipt will state that the kitten is sold without breeding rights and must be altered, kittens may not be used for breeding.
15. I will guard the reputation of all RKB breeders as my own.
16. I agree with the RKB philosophies. I agree with helping RKB be a “drama-free” club. I understand that RKUG will not be arbitrating any grievances between breeders. Most importantly, I will not hurt my fellow breeders. I will be fair, and I understand RKUG will be reviewing complaints from Adopters/Buyers. I will not be less than truthful during my membership with RKUG.
17. I will encourage my Adopters/Buyers to join RKB.
18. Rather than share complaints, issues, or any other concerns, I will contact a Board Member.
19. I will promptly report any violation of the Code of Ethics to a RKB Board Member. Upon sufficient evidence, the Board of Directors may take disciplinary action. RKB breeders who choose not to follow the RKB Code of Ethics may be suspended.
Click here to print